Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Wednesday, October 15, 2003

40 DAYS & 40 NIGHTS AGO

According to statistics, my lifespan, on the average, will be 25,550 days. A little more than 40 days ago, I decided with a friend to spend those 40 days consolidating the thoughts of my last two years, sharing and discussing what God meant for me to do with my life, to "know God's purpose for my life and the big picture - how all the pieces of my life might fit together."

For some reason beyond my biblical and spiritual knowledge, God considers 40 days a significant period of time.
- Noah's life was transformed by 40 days of rain.
- Moses was transformed by 40 days on Mount Sinai.
- The Spies were transformed by 40 days in the Promise Land.
- David was transformed by Goliath's 40-day challenge.
- Elijah was transformed when God have him 40 days of strength from a single meal.
- The city of Nineveh was transformed when God gave the people 40 days to change.
- Jesus was empoiwered by 40 days in the wilderness.
- The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his ressurection.

I wish I had started journalling (a little more than) 40 days ago, my thoughts about the purpose of everything I have encountered so far and how in the first few days of my 24th year, things and events came into fulfilment. Had I known that in those few days, thoughts and things experienced over the last two years would very suddenly, all click into place like a rubic cube, I would've meticulously penned every thought and word down. I guess, since I only made this journey with this girlfriend, only she knows intimately how amazing that journey has been and how unexpected things have turned out to be. Obviously that goes to show the size of my mustard-seed faith and my disbelief that "the next 40 days would transform my life" simply because I was working my thoughts out alongside Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life: What on earth am I here for?"

It is a much better book than I had expected, and that is not to say I was not expecting a lot out of it or the new friendship that was pre-empted in the lead up to it. She was supposed to be a "mentor" but it never happened that way from day one. How beautiful it is that it turned out to be a friendship blossomed. How were we to know that when we decided the day to actually work together our thoughts on the "what next?" after graduation, that at the end of the 40-day devotional, things for her "mentor-ee", would suddenly change? We didn't know. We expected something. We got something more. I expected to find peace in our support for each other, assurance that things would turn out alright in the end and that it was okay to be floundering in the wide sargossa sea of possibilities. I was not expecting the completion and resolution of one phase of my life to another in 40 days, nor the 180-degree life shift that I have found myself in. Not everyone who reads the book will have their life encounter changed so drastically from it. I wait in hope that what this girlfriend and I have shared will be seen in her life too. In fact, the book has little to do with the culmination of my life so far. But it has helped me tremendously to align my thoughts and, for me at least, was far more than simple coincidence that those thoughts came into fruitition at the appropriate time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home