Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Wednesday, November 19, 2003

I HATE GOODBYES

Transcription of a conversation ensued in a car.


Wednesday's ride in the bomb: Me & Nicolie

Nic: Will I see you at biblestudy next week?
Me: Yea, why not?
Nic: How many more weeks do you have with us?
Me: Uh-oh. [pause] If we have biblestudy next week, I'll definitely see you. Mental note to self: check how many weeks more I'm sticking around
Nic: You, brave, brave, girl.
Me: Believe me, I'm terrified.
Nic: Are you counting down the days or just ignoring the fact altogether?
Me: I did a vague count, I sort of know how many days I have left, but I'm also pretending its not happening either. I haven't packed at all.
Nic: Oh, packing you can do the day before.
Me: To move out of my apartment?
Nic: Oh! No... that one you can't do. When's your farewell thing again?
Me: What farewell thing? Should I be doing a farewell thing? Or should someone else be doing it for me? Am I saying goodbye to myself or is it someone else saying goodbye to me?
Nic: Look, just send out an email saying which pub you'll be at, which day and what time and we'll all turn up.
Me: Okay, when I get my act together...

We invited our pastor to join our biblestudy group this evening, for dinner followed by the much looked forward to because, incredibly and painfully prolonged, finale Australian Idol. Very good fellowship, I tell you. We all squealed with delight when Guy Sebastian won cause, go the 'fro! And he's a christian too! Not just a nominal one either. I can now claim 2-degrees of friendship to a "celebrity"; Chong-the-monk, who does Barnicles with Ly-ann-pam-pam on sunday morning actually knows and messages Guy regularly.


Far from the madding crowd behind me: Sydney Opera House forecourts

I was at the Opera House forecourts with my neighbour for coffees and scones after indulging two hours at the MCA after all neccessary work had been done. Yes, again. I can't get enough of the Primervera 2003 (Italian for Spring) and Callum Morton's "Buildings & Mood" exhibitions. By 4pm, there was such a crowd building up around the Sydney Opera House in advance of Australian Idol's prime-time telly, 7:30pm, start. How much hype can the media possibly work up? It can be so tedious just knowing that it all revolves around an empty center. Me and Nic were sick and tired of labouring over such media issues.

Anyhoo, I'm sure now all the Australian christian community is going to have its hopes pinned on him. Amen that he won, but it's a bit unfortunate how so much pressure is going to be him that won't already be neccessary. Even I'm not even secretly pleased that he won. I hope God can use him as a testimony somehow. I hope we can just let Guy Sebastian be a person too though.

After planting our ass's for three hours on Kylie's couch-that-swallows-you-up, we were finally delighted that we could get back on our merry lives, post-Australian Idol. A couple of us girls, stuck around and got filled up with the details of yet another marriage-in-the-works. We agreed its all a bit too wierd when your bestest friends get married and we're not sure what roles we play anymore. Where once you shared every single minute detail, now who's best friend to your friend, you or her husband? A part of us is just so happy for them to find each other as God's intended partner, the other part is too ready to peirce dagger eyes at the man who would take our girls from us.

It's all about leaving one phase for another. I've had my 7-day hiatus from Japan-anxiety. But enough people have bought me farewell drinks and dinners and have started asking me about the countdown. So, I went home to check just how many more wednesday night sessions I would be having with these integral people in my life. Two. Oh shit.

Audio: Strange attraction spreads it wings. It alters but the smallest things. You never know how anything will change... by The Cure.
Biblio: Yellow pages for unaccompanied overseas baggage.
Cerebrio: Another huge weekend is coming up. I better stop arsing around, start packing and calling the movers too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home