Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, November 02, 2003

It’s raining, It’s pouring, I would rather be snoring...

I love it when it just absolutely pours down like this, cats and dogs - when I’m nicely safe and dry indoors. The temperature has got to be right though cause if its too cold you’d just feel rotten. The morning was warm and bright but it turned quite grey just before I jumped into bed for a cat-nap before endeavouring, obviously less than satisfactorily so, as my writing this would suggest, to get some work done. It's the Spring rain.

Just as well, I took Thoreau to the roof yesterday and spent the afternoon with him lounging on the roof and basking in the sun, taking as much sunshine in advance of the want of leisure, company and enviroment that I expect in Japan. We slipped into our summer gear, slapped on the sunscreen and put on the sunnies. Ever the airy head, he had this to say about Spring.

Thoreau: ...the phenomenon of winter is suggestive of inexpressible tenderness and fragile delicacy. We are so accustomed to hear of this King who is described as a tyrant; but it is with the gentleness of a lover, he adorns the tresses of summer.
The Chilibuddy: Okay, you transcendental idealist...
Thoreau: See, we can never have enough of Nature. We must be refreshed by the sight of his inexhaustible vigor, the sea-coast with its wrecks, the wilderness with its living and decaying tress, the thunder cloud, and the rain which lasts and produces... there we witness our own limits transgressed, and some life freely where we never even wander...

You just had to be there. Who would have suspected so large and cold and thick-skinned a thing to be so sensitive?!

Ain't this season good? It's the perfect season for all ages. It is so comfortable, its practically lulling. I am assured and almost confident of an immediate future, pleased with what I have channeled my energies into and fulfilled in my current job. But I'm giving up my leisurely lifestyle and passionate company for, what I fear might be a creatively stifling society that will not let my mind ramble and frolick in the woods.

Yet, on reading to the kids the Exodus story of the Isrealites at Sunday school this morning, God reminded me that its not just the Israelites who were insecure about wandering the desert. Psychologically, we have not changed. We would rather sell ourselves into the slavery and bondage of our civilization, whether it be the Egyptians or our earthly comforts, than be set free to claim a land running with milk and honey. And, just like the Israelites, we grumble and we complain about the heat of the desert, the sand in our eyes and the dirt in our toes. We are still plagued with an insecurity that drives us back into a type of entrapment, like the want of of leisure or creature comforts, when we know that life under the Egyptians isn't going to bring us what we imagine it will. How many times do we need to be reminded to choose life and not security because in choosing security you willl lose both liberty and security? God more than adequately provided for the Israelites, he will provide for me.

Audio: The rain on battering down the roof.
Biblio: - nada -
Cerebrio: The cultural politics of vernacular patois.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home