Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Tuesday, November 18, 2003

MY LIFE IS FOR RENT FOR NOTHING I HAVE IS TRULY MINE

Every tuesday for the past eight months, I work for a medical bioethics researcher from the UNSW. Today was my last day. Admittedly, I'm not particularly attached to it since World Vision is my heart. But, I do like what I do. I find work at the BER and at WorldVision pretty rewarding. Yes, lucky me. When I worked in Singapore on an editorial team of an entertainment magazine work was no where this fulfilling although it had some perks. So, this was a good change

When I was to leave the editorial team, I paid my dues and was sure to communicate my appreciation for the rest of the team, especially the chief editor, "Slim Shady". Thank you cards and kudos around the office. Now, when I leave work here, I get the thank you card and the kudos instead. What is more, I worked the half day and I got a month's bonus! Whoot! What a riot. With all the moolah being splashed right, left and center with the neccessary expenses of moving, my bank account has been depleting... So, God was good.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind one bit being a food writer. I like that job too. Yum! Yum! But I was working toward a deadline down to the day I left. And for all that, we had a half-baked dinner treat at Arab Street. Can't say that left a very good impression that makes me want to go back there. Singaporeans are truly not a grateful or gracious bunch. Everyone feels everyone else owes them something; whether its the government, the employers, the employees, the shop-owner, etc. etc. The stereotypical Singaporean in my humble opinion seems incredibly industrious but lazy at the same time. Self-maximising diligence but little care and bother to build civil and personal relationships. I'm really glad I got to learn about gracious social living standards and I hope I don't lose that. Meanwhile, I have a stack of cards and letters that I had better get cracking on...

Audio: Life is for Rent for nothing I have is truly mine. Go Dido!
Biblio: Teach Yourself: Instant Japanese.
Cerebrio: Go the Wallabies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home