Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, December 01, 2003

Some Charles Schultz philosophy

Throughout the year, I have thought about what should matter most to me as a young working adult. Put on earth and with such energies, this should be a matter of serious consideration to us; how will we be good stewards of the opportunities God has laid before us? Will our time now be preoccupied with earthly ambitions of influence or with matters that will make a difference in other peopls lives?

If you're like me, then at some point in the future  if it hasn't happened to you already (if you didn't, you may get it at Mid-life crisis), you've wondered if this was all that you were meant to do. One foot in our future and one foot in out past, we struggle to decide what matters most to us and what we would allow to consume our energies.

For most of my youth, a strange blend of idealism ruled my world. Ambitious, I believed I could do anything if I wanted to. Yet I refused to 'cop out' into striving for status and money, I would do it for satisfaction, acheivement and contribution. Now as I think about it, perhaps my worldview of power and money was flawed but in a grain of childish innocence, why was it easier for me to understand how lofty ambitions of those were but feathers in the winds of time and yet as I run the early race of the marathon called 'adulthood', I chase the wind for such trivial pursuits? I pondered this debate as I approached the real leg of the marathon, the one all of us start in anticipation and excitement, many will fall along the way side and some will perservere. What will be the crown that I strive for, lest I perservere and run the race in vain?

Some Charles Schultz philosophy for all of us
You don't actually have to take the quiz. Just read the entire email and you'll get the point . 
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world. 
2. Name the last five Heisman (rugby) trophy winners. Not the one just past in Australia.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest. 
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize. 
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress. 
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners. 
 
How did you do? The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But even the applause dies. Awards tarnish.  Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners. 

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one: 
 1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school. 
 2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time. 
 3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile. 
 4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated. 
 5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with. 
 6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you. 
 
Easier?

"The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the lots of credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care," Charles Schultz.

Audio: Just Another Yellow Tree, which gaff is blasting that in the courtyard?!
Biblio: My new Lonely Planet Guide to Japan!
Cerebrio: I hope I have truly affected positive differences in friends' lives...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home