Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Tuesday, February 10, 2004

GAIJIN @ GOIDO

Konbanwa.

Yes, there is no exclamat!on to that line cause its the end of my second day of teaching. And, ack. Yesterday was a total nightmare. After three weeks of movin - mobile isnt so much the idea as is frustrating - I finally moved into my apartment yesterday AFTER my FIRST full day of teaching, and teaching with a cough and cold.

I live on the third floor of a very pre-fab block of apartments. Japan, you see, is a very disposable society. Not a lot is made to last or expected to at least. From the mobile phone that go for 100yen (1. cause they are cheap and 2. cause newer fangled ones come out every other week. No wonder.) to their houses (cause, if you remember, Japan is in earthquake hotzone. In fact, they/we are expecting the BIG one. They have been expecting it for the last 14years in fact...). WE are so advanced, that I don:t even have a phone line and the nearest public phone is a good ten minute away. Wireless is everything here.

In Kansai area, THEY walk on the right side of the road and on escalators too. Just because everyone (meaning their Big Brother Tokyo) else walks on the left. Meanwhile, I get in everyones way keeping by the international (??) code of keeping left. This thought was going somewhere but I don:t know where its gone to on its own.

Ive had the craziest week and cultural shock is doing its work. I dont even know my address in English. So, ja ne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home