Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, February 01, 2004

HELLO Kitties!

Konnichiwaaa!

Hello my kitties! Japan, the land of extremes. Computer technology and internet telephony in Japan is SO wayyy advanced, everyone has the web and email on the phone that its so hard to find an internet computer terminal - there is simply no need for them! Once again, I find myself having to wait a whole week to read my lovelies and send my emails...

My first week of "work": Lesson observation and a little bit of teaching. OHMYGAWD. Kids will be kids. Have heard/seen lots of interesting things in the classroom, none of which I have even had the opportunity to consolidate in my head let alone share with you. To the little infant children... .we sing so many kiddy songs that I sing it in my sleep... Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes... A, B, C.... now I know my ABCs!

Tomorrow I move to a tellytubby land far far away, a town of 50,000-60,000 people. Yes, you read right. Kashiba is provincial! Kashiba is on the border of Osaka/Nara. And Minami is like.... the entertainment district of Osaka. So fear not my friends, it is only but 45 minutes away from Osaka Minami and that's hardly very much time at all! But it is cold. Yesterday's weather forecast for Nara was a lot of -2 degrees!!!

Yes, I have also acquired my first bicycle here. In fact, I cycled to the city today. It's a yellow "ladies" bike, you know the kind.... basket in front with lots of little shiny heart shaped stickers on it. And No, I didn't put them there. Its a third-hand bike that I've been having for the week to get me around the town. Comes in useful sometimes if I remember to pump the punctured flat rear tire before I cycle out....

Of cool and young people, the japanese boys are quite cute. The young kids from highschool who wait on us at the family restuarants look like they stepped straight out of some japanese cartoon character. I have nothing to note for my male friends regarding the japanese young ladies except this little ditty: they cycle around with short skirts, no stockings and swhite schrunchy socks. How do they keep themselves warm? They're behinds are warmly protected by thermal knickers that come in various colours and prints. The big favourite, i hear, is the Hello Kitty. Brings new meaning to HELLO kitty!

The cute-cartoon character types and the cute hotties. The cute cartoon character types are "Ka-waii" for cute. And the cute hotties are "iketeru" aka cool to the max. The kanji equivalent for that, is "handsamu|" self explanatory. So, I asked one of the japanese staff, what the japanese equivalent for pretty and beautiful would be. And check this out. There is not equivalent the way we know it. In fact, the reason for the observation of most japanese women, looking like a girl aged eight might be this. A good looking girl is "kawaii-", that is, Cute. there is no room for pretty or beautiful so forget stunning and drop dead gorgeous. Looks like there is no chance for me to catch an "iketeru" japanese chap over here. There's just no way I'm going to go the "kawaii-" look.

Loving you from Japan, The Chilibuddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home