Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, April 25, 2004

100 DAYS

Breakthrough! I feel generally better about things now. It’s taken me the 100 days to finally find a comfortable place in Japan and I’m glad I have it now. It was a hard hard 100 days and came so close to bailing and calling it quits so many times, but now I think I can cope.

After Friday's unjustifiably expensive dinner, I decided to bugger it and exercise some retail therapy with creative things I've been wanting to do if not needed and should have done earlier. So I trekked to Amerikamura's VillageVangard for some inspiration. Got an undercover fabric which I put up on my wall as an appropriation of pop art installation, inspired by the Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Roy Lichenstein and Babara Kruger collections I've seen this weekend. I also bought an industrial lamp that I’ll use as a reading lamp at my coffeetable “desk”. And I finally sorted out my lantern light this evening. Creativity is me. I felt brave enough to venture into the D-I-Y store and find the neccessary paraphenelia in Japanese to put together my rice-paper & bamboo futonside lamp. Now its all lit up and ambient evoking and it set me back all of 600 yen. Sweet. Maybe I should go into artisan craft... All in all, its made this place feel more like my own. And I’m happier for it. Cause now, I mind less when I am at home. If my mental and creative state so far is a reflection of the art in my life, it's telling enough that I cannot live my life without art and creativity surrounding me.

After Sunday's service and biblestudy I sat down by some random stone bench with Debbie, and as we sipped chocolate milk we chatted about the making Japan work for us. Tinker had some really useful illustrations about the Christian life. It's like Hershey's chocolate syrup in milk. You can put the syrup in the milk but until you stir it up, its not going to turn into chocolate milk. You can invite Christ as Savior into your life but so many "christians" are not chocolate milk... Hence the chocolate milk for tea. I think we really don’t know quite what to make out of Japan and in the end, all we can do is try our best.

Dad was sweet. He's always wanting to know that I have everything thing I need to keep abreast with what things were happening outside bubble Japan.

Also, I wanted to say I haven't given my cousin enough credit for his band Pension State. So, Dex, if you're reading this. WTG! I'm proud of you! Even if what you play isn't my kind of music. And if you're not Dex, go give Pension State's new album Yesterdays make your tomorrows a shot. Support Singapore's local talent! *Ahem* I want to also mention that the band started around them doing biblestudy! So, c'mon already, support them!

Audio: Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield on Virgin Radio UK.
Biblio: Hard-boiled Wonderland and The End of The World by Haruki Murakami.
Cerebrio: Church has small library of award-winning English literature! Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home