Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, April 09, 2004

HOW TO RUIN MY DAY

When I walk into work, don’t greet me with “good morning” or even “Ohayo gosaimus”. - Instead, the very first thing you shoud do is to start “neh neh-” ing me and then proceed quickly to guilt trip me.

And my first ten minutes of work, I stood there in mid-pace, wondering how it is that I am to love her and be a loving Christian example, looking into her condescendingly weary face, trying my best to hide my pity for it. Keeping my cool with an emotionless straight face, I wonder if in doing that I gave more away than I thought; absolutely refusing to relent to her pleas and condescending smile.

BEWARE: Sphiel ahead
To ruin my mood, start by shooting questions and asking about preparing a certain document ("Yes"), then telling me, "No, you didn't". (Yes, I did. But, if you indeed I didn't and you knew it, why did you ask then?). After that, proceed to tell me that said recipient had called about not received the document. (Okay...) But do so in a roundabout manner such that only after playing 20-Question, you tell me that said recipient hadn't come the week the documents were being handed out. (Why then is this even a topic of conversation and why does this have to ruin my day?!?! Of course she doesn't have it if she didn't come and pick it up?!?! For goodness sakes!)

I hate receiving news like that and I hate it even more when the it is the very first thing of my day, a waste of time and ruining my mood. Don't me make sweat your small stuff. My world is much bigger than that. There are so many more things deserving of attention than a guilt-trip merely so you can feel better about yourself.

I may have spoken too soon yesterday. That, and be careful what you pray for, you might just get it. So even though it was thursday, it was foul. The measure of the work day ought to relate closely to the approach of the weekend. Two things. I actually felt better today, so that was an answered prayer. But the answered prayer also meant I was more aware of things happening around me and had more energy to keep tabs around work which meant noticing things with a heigtened sense. Today was going to be foul any way you look at it. On top of a bad start, I was made to feel ridiculed for being the way I am, doing the things the way I do, keeping the priorities that I do. I understand enough Japanese to know when I'm being talked about; for being Australian. Of course, they couldn't be more wrong...

Audio: My Favourite Game by The Cardigans on Virgin Radio UK.
Biblio: The Book of Job.
Cerebrio: I fear I may be turning into the disenchanted worker, complete with the mundane trials of the work day. This could be in opposition to how I should be behaving to be an effective tentmaker in Japan...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home