Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, June 04, 2004

IDENTITY & IMAGINATION

I have been busy. Between episodic marathons of american sitcoms - *ahem* The Last few of FRIENDS. Ooh, I'm so sad its over. I've grown up with them. Literally! - and graduate school reseach and hacking out my research proposal I haven't done very much. Not even this weeks laundry and today is the only hot sunny day for another 4 days!

In a country with no joint history between the four ethnicities, Singapore’s true cultural identity lies in the outcomes of its polyglot community. In Singapore’s appropriation of the language given to them by their colonizers, the community transformed its adopted pidgin language into it to a uniquely South East Asian flavour of English. This is a natural post-colonial condition that should be given consideration in remaking Singapore. Singapore English is one of its most natural cultural formations and should not be dismissed in “Speak Good English” campaigns...

By adopting the models of post-colonial language and literary theories used to study the West-Indies’ post-colonial condition, I also want to ask how Singaporean authors imagine and present Singapore on paper and identify themselves as Singaporean writers. By looking back into the language used, both a mixture of the standard English and Singaporean English, in their literal creations of Singapore, we can find out the strategies and cultural identifiers used to present Singapore and further the debate on the Singapore Identity and Imagination.


Audio: "I'll be there for you... cause you're there for me too...."
Biblio: The Empire Writes Back by Bill Ashcroft, Gareth Griffiths and Helen Tiffin.
Cerebrio: oh gawd. They are so gonna hate my proposal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home