Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, January 07, 2005

CHOOSING A FUTURE.



Can I be a volunteer zookeeper, mom?


As is proper, I shared my year's plan with my folks this week. I'll make it known in a while when I have more to tell, but you can gather just as much about it from this. As much as we applaud others for serving and volunteering, I don't suppose anyone attempting to give up their money, their time and (others) dreams for free will be met with grand approval from their family. Perhaps, this is the very reason we applaud them, because they do it against the voices that try to drown their's out. Settle down. Get a real job. Don't be so idealistic. What can you do there? This, after a long discussion on the relief efforts taking place in the Tsunami aftermath. They just want someone else to go. Me, I can't read about it and not want to go.

Ironically enough, my mates all thought it was a great idea and a step toward the career direction I wanted to take. I have the rest of my life to choose life, choose a job, choose a starter home, choose dental insurance, leisure wear and matching luggage. So why can't I just do something different for six months out of my entire lifetime? I have nothing to lose now but will have so much to give up later. I don't want to give up my dreams yet - especially without a fight.

My parent's "wern't thrilled". Their language for, "Alright we know you've already decided and we can't stop you anyway. But we don't like it." I know they want me to spend time with them back home. I'm just trying to relish the last dredges of wanderlust left it me. I particularly wasn't thrilled when they started using the God's will argument against me. If God wants you to go, he'll send you even if you come back to Singapore. See, he sent the whale to Jonah. Yeah. I don't want to be chased by the whale. I just want to go when the Holy Spirit prompts.

Audio: Pretender God My Heart by Alisha's Attic.
Biblio: -
Cerebrio: Never let your friends (and family) tie you to the tracks. Seriously though, can anyone out there tell me if volunteering for humanitarian aid is usually met with disaproval? Especially in asian families? And why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home