Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Thursday, January 13, 2005

MY LIFE, STILL IN THE PLANNING STAGES

I've been walking around the dark caverns of my mind with a torch. I'm looking for that elusive "long term" goal that I referred to a few days ago.

These were my plans at age 22... I provide you specifics so you can laugh at me.

23: Honours in English

24: Return to Singapore. Find a job in the government service; Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mindef... Find a church, settle in, join discipleship group. (Re)Become ‘Singaporean’.

25: Settle into work; kick into gear. Start serving in church, becoming part of the church family. Look into possibility of adult education in 2005.

26: Planning/Preparation continual adult education. Look for lifetime partner....

27: Reassess current job status; transfer to pivate/corporate work sector between 2007 - 2009 to reap the moolah.

28: Get Married!
.
.
.
34: Focus on family. Move into ministry work.


The problem with this plan though, was that I drew it up afraid of the plans I had lost when my last relationship broke up. It was my sort of safety net and I'm glad to say, in retrospect I learnt that those plans were ideal but fantastical for me to acheive. I am now 25, no where near settling on a career much less kicking any gears and still in the planning stages of going back to Singapore. According to that plan, I'm two years behind. And I might just have had started back to front. Yeah, I long threw that plan away.

I think I have my head screwed better now and have decided to leave Japan by the end of the school year because I know now is the time for me to focus on the long term plan. The plan now - and I have no plan yet; "faffing" around in Japan while waiting for inspiration to hit - is for me to really think hard about how to balance between what I want to do, a career which could keep me out of Singapore and from settling down, and what I want, a home. ie, "establishing social roots" deemed necessary for marriage.

Audio: A Little Respect by Wheatus.
Biblio: -
Cerebrio: Still thinking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home