Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, January 03, 2005

NOT MY FUR COAT

I spent the better part of my morning day mending the pocket linings of my furry coat (barring the temptation to use "fur coat" instead) jackets. I'm so domesticated, it kills me!

Gonna visit Yuuki's grandparents (with the family of course) tomorrow for lunch. Yuuki's one of my kids I teach. I've turned down invites from Hiroki's family but Yuuki and his sister and mom are such precious things, I want to spend time with them even when I don't have to! Here in Japan, they celebrate the New Year the same way the Chinese celebrate the Lunar New Year, with big visits and feasting among family and friends.

The Japanese don't really open their houses much to people. Following the stereotype that housing in Japan is always tight - Myth. though sometimes true. The one about expensive housing is also another myth; just look at what I pay for and where. But that's what stereotypes are. That it applies to most people but not all.) - they've always got a nagging doubt that their places arn't good or big enough to show (also not true). But its not about the place is it? It's about opening up hospitality to others and sharing your life - public and private - with them. So tomorrow will be another peep into their culture.

Tomorrow evening, may prove to be interesting. But shush for now, I don't even know.

Audio: Our Love is Loud by David Crowder Band.
Biblio: Mammon Inc. by Hwee Hwee Tan.
Cerebrio: Future plans, my dear reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home