Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Saturday, January 01, 2005

ONE FOOT BEHIND ME: TAKING STOCK OF 2004

What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Move to Japan. Who would have thought?!?!

Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
All in all, I did not keep my resolutions except the one’s related directly to being in Japan. I find myself already making new resolutions...

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. Phew.

Did anyone close to you die?
Nope. Thank God.

What countries did you visit?
SG, AUS, JPN.

What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
A firm career direction.

What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 16th. I switched schools and found a reason to stay in Japan.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving my first year in Japan, despite the language and culture.

What was your biggest failure?
Not committing to a social life with the Japanese. Sometimes, its too much effort with the language and cultural barrier.

Did you suffer from illness or injury?
Severe Bronchitis kudos to the Japanese pollution.

What was the best thing you bought?
The iPod has been the most useful purchase thus far.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
All the girlfriends I had praying for me. Faithfulness in prayer is great gift to have. How can I list all of them? Without prayer I wouldn't have stayed sane.

Where did most of your money go?
Travel and comfort foods.

What did you get really excited about?
Having my thesis published on a newsjournal. Experiencing a couple of earthquakes. This counts as anxious rather than excited.

Which song will always remind you of 2004?
A Camp's Frequent Flyer, Bic Runga's Listening For The Weather, Leslie Feist's Secret Heart and A Girl Called Eddy's Somebody Hurt You. Probably John Mayer, Coldplay and Keane too. Music was a big thing for me this year; a respite from all the babelling.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder?
Sadder.
Thinner or fatter? Thinner!
Richer or poorer? Richer.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Save.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Eat less chocolate.

How did you be spend Christmas?
Taking my sister to more temples and shrines Nara.

Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Mom and Dad.

Did you fall in love in 2004?
No.

How many one-night stands?
NONE.

What was your favorite TV program?
We don’t watch TV in Japan.

What was your favourite movie?
:-/ Last Samurai?

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I am at peace with the world.

What was the best book you read?
The Girl with The Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
It’s a tie between A Camp, Bic Runga and Leslie Feist.

What did you want and get?
An opportunity to be a tentmaker and do God’s work for real work.

What did you want and not get?
Career stability. Someone special to make a life with.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25, celebrated by having sashimi with Laura, stayed in as a result of Japan’s worst typhoon and watched rental video reruns.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Making solid friends in Japan; that would make me want to make a home out of this place.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Classic becomes slightly bohemic. I finally became a red-head; though I haven’t been able to maintain it here.

What kept you sane?
Prayer and with that hope; hanging out for the moment I would be of some good use in Japan.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I remain loyal to Tom Cruise.

Who did you miss?
My mates in Australia and Singapore. We knew something would happen, we didn't know what and how. England, Scotland, India, Mongolia; now they're all over the world and we can't get them back!

Who was the best new person you met?
Laura Godfrey! Churchmate, housemate, workmate, sister, family!

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Prayer is the bedrock of everything.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Once we were people,
Who used to dream about the future.
Once we were people,
With stars in our eyes.
Where did it all go?

And when did we stop taking pictures?
And when did you lose all your fight?
And when did you sigh, give up and resign?
I will never give up on you.


Audio: Monsoon Wedding OST.
Biblio: Mammon Inc. by Hwee Hwee Tan.
Cerebrio: Detox fasting is over. Maybe I should eat all the chocolate and junk in the house for my own good, so I won't have any more junk lying around the house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home