Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Tuesday, January 25, 2005

SURPRISE!

God is a master with some high expectations. He's keeping me on my toes alright. My "plans" for China and various parts of Indochina have been mutating into a very exciting form.

I mailed Jeff last week to tell him my future plans post-Japan and to fill him up on how things were going with me generally. I completely forget his (and hence the Church, since he's the one that gives direction) burden and desire for Thailand. Y'see, the plan - to go to China for up to six weeks and then spend four to six months in Thailand - completely belittles how desperate I was for a plan. China turned up on the map when I was ready to leave Japan, six months ago. Hey, if I could handle Japan with no language skills, then surely I would be more useful in China.

But the word for Thailand came quite suddenly at the end of last year. And so far, of all the doors I've looked at and knocked on, China has been optimistic but the dates haven't been helpful, while those facing Thailand have been giving me the green light. And, on sunday, I got the very green light and a reassurance of desire meeting confirmation.

After sounding out my plans to Jeff, he told me, "the church would like to support you and send you there if you would like to be a missionary to Thailand." You can imagine, my eyes almost rolled across the tarmac.

You can tell from various parts of identity-releases that I consider myself a tentmaker here. But being a "missionary" was in my five to ten year plan. Not the next five months. So its all a little surprising to say the least. I will go to Thailand, I can assure that much, but deciding to be a missionary will need a lot more time and prayer than this off-handed entry. The second half of the year will be an experience to put the missions view into perspective. What would it be like to be a missionary for real?

So, there is a response to this after all. Suddenly life seems to be moving forward and moving fast. And there are so many possibilities in the air! Orphanages. Teaching (again.) in Bangkok. Teaching in Bible College across the Burmese border. Yes, lets just add rebel to resume. ;-) I've been in two minds about being financially supported by the church in a situation where I was prepared to front the funds anyway but I've been told that I'm not to shirk away from a blessings. Meanwhile, I don't want to put cart before the horse. I just want to thank God that my desire meets consistency.

Audio: Boys Don't Cry by The Cure.
Biblio: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.
Cerebrio: Quite beside myself at the swift mutation of plans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home