Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Thursday, February 17, 2005

DON'T PANIC!

Had a bit of a freaky experience yesterday. Su's in Brisbane now and getting all disoriented and unsettled as one does when moving homes. So who else better for her to call but her older sister the other side of the hemisphere at 1am. But nwvermind her. This is about me.

After I spoke to her, I got to thinking about when I first moved and all the moves I've had since then. And then about the next move(s) back "home". And I had a bit of an anxiety attack. Appropriately a whole 10 months away. Why? Why do I panic?

I reckon, I'm pretty used to the whole moving away to a new place/new culture. It's always difficult but I know what to expect. The idea of having to go (back) to Singapore, isn't quite like going home, nor is it anything like going into a foreign place either. I've had a lot of experience in going home, spending a few months there but knowing that I'm outta there in a sec. So, the whole experience will be a new one to me, to go home but not to visit. To fly back there and not have a flight out of Singapore booked. The thought of not having a flight out, of not planning to be going anywhere somewhat permanently after that, is a bit overwhelming.

Unlike say, going to a foreign country, whether Australia or coming to Japan to going to Thailand, where IF it didn't work out, I always have the option of to pussy-tail it back to Singapore. But, if Singapore doesn't work out there is no pussy-tailing it elsewhere. It simply CANNOT not work! I mean, yes, its not the end of the world, I could well find work and be posted overseas and all that but that is not likely for a year or two at least.

I'm an expert in moving, an expert in adapting in new cultures (the key word there adapting and not adapted) but nothing to show for going home. To be quite honest, when plagued with the thought of going home, my thoughts escape by seeking the easy way out, "lets just move somewhere else AGAIN!".

But oh my goodness! As usual Douglas Adams, my hero has just the right advice; Don't Panic! Afterall, whats more important is that The Hitchhikers Guide To The Universe finally premieres April 29th. Of course I won't get to watch it on the big screen while I'm here. But I will take his second best advice and carry a towel to Thailand since the answer to the question of the universe is only 54.

In preparation for that, I've ordered Thai For Beginners for some serious introduction into the language, David K. Wyatt's Thailand: A Short History and MBI's reader for their Cross-Cultural Training in Ministry course, Mack & Leeann's Guide to Short-Term Missions. Which I hope will also be helpful in dealing with re-entry culture shock in a christian way.

Audio: A mix-cd from Jamba Shrimp in San Jose. Khorb koon!
Biblio: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.
Cerebrio: I've bought total of seven books online in the last week! I hafta stop!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home