Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, February 11, 2005

GOSPEL FIRE

We went to the Hanna Gospel Fire Concert at the Grand Cathedral of Vigin Mary of Tamatsukuri of Osaka. Let me tell you, for Y-2000, it was good. But for a Gospel concert, it was shite. Nothing close to the genre of music we know as "gospel". The closest thing to it was Hanna's jazzy rendition of Amazing Grace which is a standard and Jesus, Loves The Little Children which I really liked and thought would be a great tune for my kids to do for the Easter Show.

She's really quite good for a Japanese vocalist. By that, I don't know to whom I am comparing her to; Emi Fujita? Hikari Utada? But she does have a good voice. It was an hour plus set in the grand cathedral, and as church buildings in Japan go, this was a big one. A real cathedral, with real stained glass, with a pipe organ, with real church pews, with kneelers for prayers, with no heating at all. By the end of the concert, we were all bundled up in coats, gloves, scarfs and hats. I couldn't feel my toes by the time we made it to a warm coffeehouse not near from there.

All in all, interesting. Coffee and tea was great catching up with the japanese gals and sort of letting them in on my plans on Thailand. I dare say, two of them were encouraged by it and I hope it spurs them on to courage to bid God's doing. Mari wants to go to Dallas to do Christian Worship training and Keiko doesn't quite have her finger on what she wants yet thought she knows she's got to sort it out soon.

After the really late tea we then proceeded to a mad night of wailing at each other in a karaoke room in Umeda. This evening's theme; Worst Songs On Radio topped by Aqua's Barbie Girl, Spice Girls' Wannabe. Only in a hidden box room in Japan will I daresay I sung them with gusto. Never in public.

Tomorrow, Namba. Hope Chapel Namba opens this sunday so tomorrow's the last day to put in the final touches of trim and paint, the carpeting, the chairs, the instruments and a real drum set for me.

Audio: Let It Die by Leslie Feist.
Biblio: Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis.
Cerebrio: Now I'm waiting for my instant dinner of kuay chap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home