Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Saturday, April 16, 2005

ME? A TEACHER?

I am beginning to realize, albeit a little late, that a teaching career might just make some sense. Just what? Only six years too late since starting in 1999. Teaching experience has been of all manners and sort - P.E., Outdoor & Adventure, Accelerated Learning skills, Sunday school/VBS, Pre-K, EFL with kids, adults and soon to be university - except the formal in-classroom.

It's funny how things come to you like epiphanies when all along they were right in front of you. It's not as if I never knew the option existed. Oh, mom would never let me forget it. It's more like I always denied the possibility. Me? A Teacher? Never! The idea of teaching myself incarnate would be a nightmare.

Overheard on a phonecall:

"I'm thinking of going to Teacher College. What do you think of me becoming a teacher?"

"Huh?"

"To become a teacher?"

"Arn't you already a teacher? What do you think you are you have been doing in Japan?"

The point is, someone shared a very insightful comment this week, "Teaching will be one of the most useful tools to the children aged 1-5, who have been orphaned from the South Asia Tsunami. The window of opportunity to reach to them at this age, when they are most receptive, is in the next 10 years." In fact, teaching will be a way more useful tool than going to them with theology.

Now, that made a lot of sense to me.

Audio: Your Love, Oh Lord by Third Day.
Biblio: Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.
Cerebrio: Who whudduv thunk, I'd reach to this conclusion like so?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home