Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Wednesday, April 05, 2006

IF THERE IS ONE THING I WILL MISS ABOUT JAPAN...

... it is the onsen, the sento and the ofuro. Ever since I was spoiled with the indoor pool and jacuzzi in my Sydney inner city apartment, I enjoyed my daily soak after work.

But coming to Japan took it to a newer level. The hot bath is just sheer pleasure. I don't even mind the nekkid-ness of the onsens or ofuros anymore. It's just so good to get the heat right through your bones.

Today, I had in mind to go to the local sento after work. Andy's gone and Keely's here. So, all day it was on my mind as something to do with Keely. So off we trekked, only to find that today it would be closed. Boo #1

Dissapointed, we decided the walk wouldn't be for nothing so we'd walk to the end of the road to the JR Ashiya station for Indian. And when we got there...

The whole Ashiya Fire Brigade had turned up in force to put out a fire (presumably. We only saw smoke.) Everyone in the neighbourhood, their dog, cat and goldfish were also there. There was no way we were going to get in to the building. No Indian. Boo #2

Right, now that we were in town, we might as well walk around to see what else would interest us. After circling a few blocks, we decided on the local izakaya. At least that would be a safe bet, right? No. It was closed too! WHAT? Boo #3.

Nothing was going to go as planned. (That by the way is how my life generally goes anyway. I really shouldn't have been that surprised.) We finally found an open yakitori joint which had cool atmosphere and was open. Amen! We ordered the usual and being girls, we also made an order for a serve of tomato salad and baked potatoes. I almost fell off my chair when we got six slices of tomatoes and a pinch of salt for salad and 8 slices of potatoes (good) swimming in a bucket of butter (funny, but not so good). 

At least the one thing that I finally did acheive at the end of the evening though, was to grab some sakuras that had started blooming and threw them into the ofuro at home. I sat there happy as a wrinkled pea for a good hour. 

Audio: -/-
Biblio: -/-
Cerebrio: Ofuro... bliss... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home