Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, April 17, 2006

IRONY OF IRONIES

It's been pretty much hectic all month. This week is all Parent-Teacher meetings and working through handover stuff. Then, there was the build up to the Easter Production which went well and I am so proud of the cast and kids I got to work with. Sometimes I forget, but recently I've been reminded of what I have to learn from them despite teaching them.

I got news from Singapore also about my appointment; despite the potential negative vibes I have heard and can expect, I refuse to be beaten. I am actually keen about the scholarship. And don't say "having a stable income" is a bad thing. Yes, I imagine it will totally suck at times but knowing I have a job and can support myself probably puts me in the top 5%-10% of the (real) world's standard of living.

I reckon its a fair trade-off in the end; a full teaching scholarship and certification while I get paid for three years of bond? Really, that is another three years of practicuum which hopefully will help me be a better teacher anyway. What happens after the next four years, is something else anyway. As for how good an education I am going to get - they say the faculty can suck; okay. But, I also say a lot of Singaporean's expect to be spoon-fed. The quality of your education is what you put in. These are just some of the things I've learnt living outside my sheltered comfort zone. A job is a privelege. The Third-world will tell you that. A vocation is a means to an end. Your education is not what other's tell you but what you take in.

Also, after years of procrastinating on webhosting, I have finally decided to cave in. Most of that time procrastinating in the last few years was deliberating on Apple's .mac account or opting for the regular webhosting. In the end, I couldn't resist a really good deal and bought some virtual estate. thechilibuddy.org is almost half the size of my harddrive - for less than $5/month! I'm going to dump all the data I have ever owned there.

Technically, I leave Japan in 36 days. But, two weeks after I move to Singapore, I fly back to Japan again to lead a mission team from the YWAM GoFest Asia Mission Conference and Outreach. Irony of Ironies is that I will pretty much do and show the team exactly what it is that I do here anyway. So I won't even feel as if I left Japan for good. It'll be like I was away on a 2 week vacation. It is also kind of nice to close the door by summarizing all the work I do here.

Audio: King Planet by Fold Zandura.
Biblio: Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller
Cerebrio: Justin has sourced some rad YoungLife contacts for me in Singapore. I was a bit concerned about the type of company I would miss but now hopefully this is the kind of company I like to keep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home