Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, April 23, 2006

PIMPIN' OUT MY MAC

It's taken me a few weeks to soup up my baby with all the good lurvin' that it needs. Now this great machine is even better for me.

Browsers
- Safari 2.0; I tried out Firefox and Mozilla. Sure, its may be great stuff but it doesn't do anything spectacularly different from what Safari does already pretty well.
- SunriseBrowser; The open-source browswer for web-work. So good. We're talking making HTML in a new window with two clicks, (Didn't you say this is a browser?) and translucent windows so you can see what you are making without going back and forth. Simple and to the point. And, japanese!
Instant Messaging
- Adium; I used to use Proteus which was great. But now there's Adium which is open-source. And I love its translucent windows too.
Filesharing
- I still use Limewire cause i've been pimpin' everything else but that, although I might go Acqlite soon.
Video Playback
- VLC; bye bye region-coding!
DVD filing
- Handbrake; nice, AAC, H.264 codec and mpeg4 for Mac and Quicktime enviroments. but limited to read according to the firmware (and hence region coding) of your DVD player.
FTP
- Transmit3.5; This is the way FTP was meant to be.
HTML Editting
- Smultron; I love those little Smulberries. Even does coding in colour!
System Events Utilities
- Growl; everything I ever wanted to know but was too lazy to find out.
Launcher
- Quicksilver; WYSIWYG ASAP, on the mark, fierce heirachy, sleight of hand, computing at the speed of thought, access granted, just your type, also makes julienne fries. The next best thing since sliced bread. What are you waiting for?
At a glance
- Statoo; I like Dashboard and the variety of widgets at hand but sometimes the simple things take too long.
Bible Software
- Macsword; Open-source, based on the Sword Project and Greek and Hebrew lexicons. How many bible translations do you need?
Uninstaller
- AppZapper; Thank you MacZot!

Audio: -/-
Biblio: Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller.
Cerebrio: And God said, "Open-source is gooood."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home