Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, June 11, 2006

KISS. or SIMPLE FREEDOMS FOR CREATIVITY

For the few years in Japan, I've been wanting and waiting, to get a new bible. A non-NIV and, for once a non-study bible. Okay, that bit is the fault of the intellectual, academic christian scholar in me. Bother that.

The NIV is a good version. It's also the standard version. And something about standards (and systems) always reckons the rebel in me - until I have been convinced that it is the best possible system that I would put into place were it up to me.

And so lately I've taken to trying the words through the New Living Translation and The Message. Looking around for a CEV (Contemporary English Version). There is something about making things simpler to understand that I've learnt in helping the Japanese study God's word. I think the principle there, should be the basic principle everywhere - KISS: Keep it Super Simple.

I've been visiting a new church, looking around for a people with whom I will be free to express the things I have learnt. Part of my getting acquainted is understanding the system, and the systems are complicated, structured and rigid. The people are nice, but why is the system so complicated? Yet, who can I ask, since my curiousity is bound to be misunderstood as some elitist questioning of a system that the people love?

I will have to decide where to draw the line between maintaining the simple freedoms for creativity and accepting the system in place. Meanwhile, I finally got a new bible today, an embossed red leather ESV. Too bad for the techie in me, I won't be carrying an e-bible in the PDA that I don't have.

Audio: Pitter-pattering of the rain.
Bilio: -/-
Cerebrio: Tennis plans foiled again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home