Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, June 26, 2006

SOME NICE THINGS ABOUT BEING A TEACHER - IN SINGAPORE!

Working in Japan, at A.I.S., I used to be really pleased as a pea about the work week I had scheduled. I think it all has to do with the "great" training I had in my first job; I'd finish work after 9pm at the earliest leaving me absolutely no options to meet anyone in the city after work. That job totally sucked and ruined me for the worker I am now.

Moving to A.I.S., I then somehow by God's grace, managed to establish for myself the 4 and 1/2 day work week. It was actually five, but expecting nothing less than Australian work standards, I thought it would only be normal and fair. So anytime after 3pm on a friday was considered my weekend.

But what is this! I am hearing that the new standards for working in schools here allow for a 1pm leave on friday in the event the teacher does not need to be at school for work or CCA responsibilities. Sounds unfair? Do you want to get up at 5:30am and be at work by 7:15am? Granted, most of the time, we all clock in more hours at work than is stated in contracts. But I think I would swap waking up earlier to get more of the later day available.

Other positives... TUCKSHOP! I remember as a kid having to brave the lines and heat for food and play during the 35 minute recess. But, teachers have no recess, anytime free is recess! That means no long queues for lunch! Food anytime! What's more, food in Singapore is so affordable; but food in school is so cheap! I feel bad for paying so little!

Escape Clause:
I know there are some (and others would say "more") less that desirable things about the systems in Singapore - and I have been a victim of it too - but it does help life go by more pleasantly, to point out the positives which may be harder to see. It's so easy to see the negatives that it becomes boring; find something more challenging to do with that effort!

1 Comments:

At 8:59 am, Blogger Su-Ann Tan said...

YAY! im so glad that you're enjoying work... it's good to know that you're doing something that you're passionate about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home