Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Saturday, July 01, 2006

WEEK 1

After a week, finally a morning I awake to light! I'm still getting used to waking up at 5:45am; the idea of leaving the house before the sun is up just so EARLY. Aside from the matter of sleep, "work" is so far, so good.

The school I am currently observing held a big function last night, "Community Night". I have yet to figure out the actual purpose of the event beyond contributing something to the community but nontheless, I thought it was a worthwhile time for me. Minister Lim Boon Heng, member of parliament and his council were in attendance and he rattled off something his speechwriter wrote, but I could barely hear much above the mumbling of the 850-people-large crowd. The students put up an effort of a performance, the Chinese Orchestra, the Band, the Choir, a few solo pieces and even a tantalizing salsa/latin number by (just) two girls. Some of us at our table were puzzled about the message they were sending across. But I found the chinese cultural wushu dance most entertaining; the boys all looked like Ryu and Ken from the videogame Streetfighter and I was quite literally fixated. Altogether, I found it an eye-opener for "being local".

Fuhua Secondary School Community NightCommunity Night

Audio: -/-
Biblio: I'm finally reading something - the secondary 1 literature text, The House of Sixty Fathers by Meidert Dejong.
Cerebrio: Tennis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home