Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, October 22, 2006

A SYSTEMIC SOCIAL PRESSURE

I was thinking about the things that I do because... I can't quite put a finger down on why other than say that those things feel like I need to do them. I also thought about the things I do because I want to do them and the things I don't do anymore.

Let's use church as an example.

I want to go to church.
I am attending a specific church at the moment which seemed like a good idea at the point of decision. I don't always think I want to go there, but I have been going there anyway. This weekend, I didn't go because, well because I had an opportunity to choose not to. That's not to say the other weeks I go (to any) because I didn't have the opportunity. It just felt that the option was always biased one way.

There are other things besides church that we do like this. We act a certain way because we think we have to. Some system has told us that there is an expected behavior; the irony is that not following that 'expected' behavior doesn't always lead to the dire consequences we imagine to.

Of course, there is always consequence. People will talk and usually, someone's reputation or character is held in jury. But, the actual consequence to your person, isn't always dire. It's like, we worry too much about what someone would say/feel (hurt) about doing something (or not) than the reason behind why we do (love). And, Reason, I feel ought to be the most compelling for doing something. It should be you at your most rationale point making an intrinsic decision which we usually always choose for our good and wellbeing.

But, it seems most times, we still let the expected behaviors of 'tradition' control our actions.

There are things I have somehow stopped doing or those activities have felt to be dwindling. We're not discussing vices here, and I tend to think as they are things I enjoy, they are for my own well-being and sanity. Maybe it shows I don't need to do as much as I thought I needed to. It doesn't explain why I do them less. Sometimes I do them less because I'm trying to save (shopping for example). Sometimes, saving that money does not equal the good I could get out of it and I want to do it despite of the price. But, I don't for some fuzzy notion of a social pressure.

I'm concluding that there is some sort of systemic social pressure (anywhere) to behave in a certain way and I'm thinking at this point, that there are somethings I refuse to be pressured to do (or not do as it were). There are principles I have adopted and grown into - they are not wrong they are just different! - and I do not want compromise on that.

On that note, I'm determining that I should try to gain back some of what I've let go. Some semblance of the complete and fulfilled life that I had, which is open to people joining me and being part of. But I don't want to just follow someone else's idea of 'life'. There's just strength in doing that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home