Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Sunday, October 29, 2006

THE VANITY OF LIVING WISELY

I may have written this sometime before - but I don't remember, so I'll write it again. It's the sort of classic 'Dad's Sayings' which never ceases to stump you. Where do they got their wisdom?

This was a few months back when I just moved in and was about to start on campus to do more studying on education. Dad was driving me to the train station so I could hop on the bus for orientation or something or other. I remember it was early in the day with weekday traffic. Suits and uniforms were in cars and buses off to work or school. As we passed a bus-stop, we noticed a lone highschool student pouring over a text while waiting for the bus. And Dad made this comment, "look at her studying at the bus-stop... "

His sphiel basically went as follows:

"Look at the girl studying at the bus-stop. She can't stop studying. Every moment that's available, students are studying. Even at the bus-stop. Sigh. For what?

So that they can get into college and university. And then they study hard so they get a paper and for what?

So that they can meet the right people and get a good job. And her, that girl over there, what will most likely become of her? She'll meet a nice guy, get married and... have kids.

Then, she should stay at home and have kids. And when her kids get to school they'll have to study too... "

Why do you all want to study so hard?!"

At this stage I was stunned to be hearing what he was saying - not because I think it's sexist or anything - I know two principles are running through his mind. Yes, she needs to be wise and smart to bring up good children. This is a no-brainer. It was not a sexist comment. But, just as I was about to do more 'specialized studies in Education', another principle was surfacing which I had never heard before.

"But why didn't you tell me this earlier? Earlier as in, when I was in highschool or elementary school?!?!? I would have so agreed with you! Why wait till now as I'm on my way to do even more of that?!"

"Neh, we cannot tell you 'not to study so hard' as parents - but really, y'all... really don't need to sweat it as much as you think you do."

I think his point was really just this:

The wise person has eyes in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet, the same even happens to them both - death. So I said in my heart, "what happens to the fool will happen to me also. Why then have I been so very wise?" And I said in my heart that is also was meaningless.
The Wisest Man in the Bible - Ecclesiastes 2:14-16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home