Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Thursday, November 02, 2006

I HATE CATCHPHRASES

"Please come to this important event, I will be sharing with you what the Lord has placed upon his heart"
- yes. what will be the agenda? and on what parameters?

"I went to (insert 3rd World Country) and saw many miracles, many signs and wonders"
- And, what would that be?
"I saw the blind see and the lame walk"
- That is mighty descriptive. Thanks. Take a lesson from the bible then "Jesus SPAT on the man's eyes", "the woman TOUCHED Jesus' robe". That was explicit, no wonder that makes it more believable.

"... insert disagreed point.. please (to someone) or I will (when speaking about oneself) .... pray about it..."
- Now this one is tricky. It is important to pray about things and seek God's authority and all that but its also too often used in replacement of "that is not the decision I want you to make. Please change it (if you can find it within your heart o displease/disappoint me)." - Unfortunately, on me, that will not work if I have already thought a decision to its end and made my mind up about it. It's just short of a plea and I would have more respect for you if you just said what was exactly on your mind.

Other mumbo-jumbo from work

"activate mental schema"
"provide mental learning scaffolding" - in the classroom.

Be explicit. Ask, "Can you tell me what exactly that is?"

Know any more dumb catchphrases? Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home