Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Wednesday, July 11, 2007

WEEK 3

It's already week 3 of the school term and an update is due on how school has been good and the youth that I work with are teachable. Some are real privilege to be teaching.

Today however, I came down really hard and stern on my seventh-graders (13-year olds). I kept half of them out of class for half the english period (while I was going through boring admin stuff) for not bringing their English folders to class. I didn't want to do that yet but after three weeks, I thought it would be a good idea to follow through on my expectations. So, I had to go through with the discipline.

We did tableax in class and I got them to rejoin the rest of their classmates. The kids got a little rowdy with one particular boy who kept constantly yabbering at the back. He already had got into a spat with his group members on who should be the group leader and so I was short on my leash with him and told him to leave the room. At which point, at least five to six other students showed their enthusiasm for his punishment - I've figured they don't like him much - so I sent one of the gang leaders out with him. We went on with class and I dismissed them both sternly after I let the class out.

Now I regret doing that since I was unable to really address the issue - one kid was disrespectful of my class and the other disrespectful of his classmate. I got an apology from both of them but I can't help but think all they learnt from that was not to be talking in class and not to be caught jeering others, which is totally missing the point that jeering is not a loving way to treat others.

I shall have to talk to them about it on friday, but if there's one thing I've realized, is that I have problems talking out things to young people. I may be okay at teaching them tangible knowledge stuff but don't know how to put across ideas and social-emotional thoughts to them. "You shouldn't do it because it is wrong and unloving" doesn't seem to be all there is to getting the message across.

I also have a boisterous 9th-grade class. They are by far angels compared to Ghetto school but I am challenged in getting them to do work. They are low in motivation and high in apathy and ennui, slow to do work, late to submit. The class can be chatty amongst themselves on their own topics (boys or soccer) and lack some appropriate respect and classroom behavior (not talking while instructions are given). This is to the point that one boy, has begun to shout loudly at the top of his voice "SHUT UP CLASS!!!!" in order to get the class to quieten down so I can talk. While this is useful, it does nothing for my classroom authority. Mental note to speak to him after school on monday.

There's another boy who has exhibited good behavior but regularly comes to me to ask for silly requests like if he can be allowed to have candy in class and if the group can change names. These are things I don't really mind or care about as long as the students are on task, however it could also spiral out into a problem. After persistent questions from him today, I said, "No, I said no. Go away." I even did the hand-motion to go with it. I wish I hadn't been so abrupt with him especially since this was the second time.

All that said, the kids I have are really a joy. They are a bundle but a bundle of joy. I have got it good this semester. I think I appreciate them more after what I saw at Ghetto, but apparently, if you saw my behavior toward them, you might not think the same way.

ARGH.

1 Comments:

At 12:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

at least you are aware of the issues that you'll have to address regarding your methods and the type of students you're dealing with.

it would be so much easier to go with the "it was the right thing to do at that moment" instinct. but i'm glad you're choosing to learn how to speak to these kids about where they've gone wrong. one day they'll look back and they will be thankful you took time to deal with them. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home