Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, November 19, 2007

100% Present

I had plans today to meet a good friend I've known for almost ten years. The idea was to check-in with each other before I cross over to the other side. I think it would've been good if it happened but that's be rainchecked.

As was the last time we tried to make plans with each other. I'm fully aware that people lead very busy lives in Singapore but I would have to agree with my mom on this, "only dead people have no time!" I for one find myself squeezing for time too but I am a firm believer that where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Time is a scarcity to all in Singapore, and how we spend our time shows our priority - if you spend more time earning big bucks or climbing up the ladder, it tells of your treasure and where your heart is.

Another principle I am a firm believer and advocate for is that when I do something, I want to do it with all of me. Not halfway and not multi-tasking my priorities. This I find a very hard balance to walk as a Christian - how do I balance giving my all to my pay-master (who is always demanding more) and giving my all to the other priorities in my life, like God, friends or ministry. Even as I write these words, I see the plank in my eye, I do invest more heart into work nowadays than I do into ministry. And excuses are easy to find.

I bring up these two principles because of late, I find myself wondering why it is that meeting up with said friend is that difficult and when we do, she is also doing something else? Either it is meeting up with her while going shopping for an important article of clothing, or going for a run with her and then have her friend join us because its been a long time since they caught up, or as in the case today, suggesting I meet her while she goes shopping in town for a new phone for her mom instead of our plan to just have coffee in the quiet suburbs - and that was already a 1 hour slot-in before dinner.

I was selfish. I was tired of being slotted in-between, tired of being part of a multi-task. I want to be 100% present and I need her to be 100% present too - we are all taking time out of our busy schedules to do this, so lets jolly well do this completely. In the end, I realized I wasn't going to make a rushed trip down to town to see her if it wasn't going to be an opportunity to catch-up with her fully while she went to pick up her phone. And, especially since I know she was going to rush off for her dinner appointment.

To me, it just speaks of where her priorities are not. I believe she would consider me important. But, making someone a 'multi-task' to do is rude and it says of where that person's importance is. I am of more value than a new phone!

It's a pity. I'll still try to see if we can meet up but maybe this is already an indication of how dynamics are starting to divide. Learning points for me are that I really must be 100% present when making appointments with my friends and I must make the time to make them important in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home