Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, January 04, 2008

The Love Tank

In his endeavours to be a good spouse, Andy took to reading one of those how-to-make-your-marriage-work books. I won't say what it is though...

Since it was targetted for men, the author wrote about how men had the biblical responsibility to please their wives and one way of doing this was to make sure the 'love tank' was filled up.

Readers may be familiar with the analogy of the Love tank from the series of books on Langauages of Love. In this case, the author spun off from there to say that women were a lot like automobiles. (It's a men's book afterall and there must be a car in the book somewhere in there apparently to keep them reading).

It's easy to take offence at the women = automobiles analogy. I had many good reactions when I shared this with my colleagues. WHAT?! A machine?!

Despite my initial disdain for the authors snap analogy, Andy did an excellent job of redeeming it. He explained that a car can only go so far on an empty gas tank and likewise a woman's love tank needs to be filled for her to be happy etc. There are some cars who are guzzlers and then there are some women who are very fuel efficient. Right.

"So, what sort of automobile does that make me?" I attempted to stump him.
"Hrrrrm. You'd be a volkswagon beetle"
"What?!"
"When you see a Beetle, the car is all curves!"

I almost hit my head falling off the bed laughing.

"It's pretty and its powerful at the same time!".

"It's a fun car and its got a colourful personality and its german technology!"

The boy was on a roll for the rest of it. I never thought of how far the analogy could go but I suddenly realized, there were a lot of different types of car for all the different types of women out there.

And this, is how men think.

* * *

When I told him I was writing this, he made sure to remind me, "did you mention the location of the engine? You're uniquely different, everyone would think the engine is in front, but yours is at the back!"

At first I thought he was referring about my milkshake - which is such a male thing - so I had to get him to explain so I wouldn't get it wrong: "You are different. Most guys would think, "Oh I have this figured, I know where the engine is, in front!" And most car engines are in front, but you're not so easy to figure and you are definitely not like the rest!"

Oh bless his heart.

5 Comments:

At 2:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now everybody say, "AWWWWW" :D
-H

 
At 10:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, what makes you german technology? -H

 
At 11:18 pm, Blogger The Chilibuddy said...

I think its something to do with technology, sophistication, precision engineering, reliability...

 
At 10:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this post gaijin! :D - bunz

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger davej said...

so great...good answer by and-man...and good follow up too haha...awesome...back that thang up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home