Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Monday, October 13, 2008

The 20/80 rule

The last time I looked at my blog, I realized I had it going since 2003. That is long! Before that, I actually had a blog that went back all the way to 1995, right after I graduated from school. No 'blogging' then, they were called online journals and I had to write every single code for it.

- - - - - -

I'm home today because I got married one month short of one year ago. As part of policy, I get 3 days off - most people use it if they get married during the school term, but we decided to do in November so I didn't have to execute it. It's only valid for a year so I thought that since my kids are on their own pretty much to their national exams and most teachers are either busy marking, invigilating and reporting (all of which I had already sweated through in the 3rd quarter of the year), I would take the whole lot in one fell swoop before its invalid.

It really is a world of difference teaching the graduating class - I would definitely do it again. You sweat buckets but you reap well... and early. Not meaning to gloat, but over the last 2 weeks I've been scheduling consultations for those that need help (no more classes), reviewing their work with them (no more marking) and hiding away in my little cubicle while I try to clear the administrative work in advance (no meetings). I also don't have to invigilate or mark or write reports because we had to do our 'share' so early in the year.

Sometimes I feel like, just because I'm more free than the next person, I somehow feel guilty or obliged to be doing more work. Although it feels that way, it is completely irrational because I shouldn't be penalized for having finished my work ahead of time. Still, I somehow feel I ought to be 'helping' those out who are 'too busy' because they are doing one thing or another. I also don't like it that because I seem so much more 'carefree' since I have less things to do now that it follows that I should be given more work to do. B*******t!

It's the 20/80 rule. If I keep doing this, then I will be the 20% who do 80% of the work, I will get an increment and they may groom me for 'Leadership'. NO THANK YOU! I don't want a promotion and I certainly don't want more money. Money is no tradeoff for my time, thank you very much. I do however want to do my job damn well and to do it efficiently but I don't want to be penalized for doing just that.

Today there was a presentation that I was asked been involved in, tomorrow there's a meeting that I was asked to help the newbie in analyzing stats and on wednesday, there's a photoshoot that I was asked help because the rest are "busy with checking of scripts, lots of meetings and remarks". I am not trying to skive on my work and I know its hard and painful to do all that because I've done it too, but I should'nt be penalized for having sweated so hard so early! You can't say no except to not be present.

I have already done what was within my capability up to this stage and a lot of this stuff is really the responsibility of a department head, of which we are missing in headcount. I want to do good work that gets rewarded in the accomplishment (and not getting rewarded for work that looks good), I want my life to be simple and I want to have time to spend on my own pursuits. It seems like these three things are in direct contrast to the working ethos of our society.

And year, I also want an iPhone for my birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home