Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, March 13, 2009

On Acquiring Peace and Zeal for Perfection

If we were to uproot only one vice each year, we should soon become perfect. The contrary, however is often the case - we feel that we were better and purer in the first fervor of our conversion than we are after many years in the practice of our faith. Our fervor and progress ought to increase day by day; yet it is now considered noteworthy if a man can retain even a part of his first fervor.

- - - - - - - -

I was wondering if I had any more or any less of this fervor Thomas a Kempis refers to. I want to say no and yes at the same time. I'm thinking from when I decided that Jesus Christ was it for me and no, it doesn't feel like a huge flaming passion anymore; yes, it feels deeper and stronger. Then again, I accepted Christ when I was six, dawdled and wandered till I was 21. So, it would be almost 9 years now. What about the next 9?

Sometimes I do wonder if my thoughts, passions are straying, being distracted, more so in Singapore than when I had less to my name in Japan. I wonder, when God calls us, when it is time, will we be ready? Are we getting more ready or less and less so as the years go by?

What about you? How does your faith now compare to when you first jumped in the deep end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home