Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Friday, April 03, 2009

On The Love of Solitude and Silence

Very many great saints avoided the company of men wherever possible and chose to serve God in retirement. "As often as I have been among men, I have returned less a man" said one writer.It is easier to be silent altogether than not to speak too much. To stay at home is easier than to be sufficiently on guard while away.

Never promise yourself security in this life, even though you seem to be a good religious, or a devout hermit. It happens very often that those whom men esteem highly are more seriously endangered by their own excessive confidence. Hence it is better not to be too free from temptation, but often to be tried lest they become too secure, too filled with pride, or even too eager to fall back upon external comforts.

- - - - - - -
I agree entirely that, "To stay at home is easier than to be sufficiently on guard while away." However, I disagree that that should be the practice. It is too easy to do that - especially for an introvert - and I wouldn't be growing, stretching or putting my faith in God to carry me through those instances. But, solitude and reflection is definitely good practice. Something even an introvert like myself needs to do more of. Even then, with all the communication devices of the world, I find myself in the 'company' of men and distracted endlessly from 'holy meditation'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home