Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Saturday, March 24, 2007

Work & Life

I've now been fruitfully working in the school for four weeks. I guess I was doing the same before being assigned to this school but less 'fruitfully' although in a similarly educationally fulfilling way.

To pep me for the rest of this career, Andy and I spent a long weekend away from the maddening crowd (of school) at a beach where there were few people, the sand was white and the water was clear and blue enough. And I took no photos because we did nothing at all except what you should do at a beach resort. Eat. Swim. Lie. Eat. Swim. Beach. Sand. Lie. Rinse. Repeat.

And that seems like so long ago even though it was only seven days past. Now, I am back in the full swing of things. I felt I was swimming in the deep end the last few weeks - and I still am but yesterday felt like the end of a good day of work. I've been warned that teaching in Singapore is and will be more punishing and that I should expect to put in heaps of time in it.

I'm the sort who will put in heaps just to stay afloat. But I realize that work will never be done. Still, I'm trying to figure out how best to pace myself so that I pursue the right thing in this line. And what is the right thing? For me, the biggest fear is that I will let my lesser self turn into the perfectionist, work-a-holic that I can be in order to maintain control over my career. There is nothing wrong in being good at work - until it has to sacrifice the more important things.

Finally, after a long week, I have done nothing except tinkle with my computer and lie in bed thinking, "Is my life going to be any more than this?" and "how can I make my life more fruitful than just being fruitful at work".

Does a day or week go by when I don't wonder, "have I made today worth living?"

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just EXACTLY what i'm thinking now... tra la lalala / He gave us 24 hours for a reason. God give us *points at Ly and myself* wisdom to plan our day. Danke, Amen
bunny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home