Gaijin.Cerebrio: doctrina ergo eruditio



Saturday, April 14, 2007

Where will my strength come from?

The last time I wrote, I mentioned about the infringements that go in the school I teach...

Here's the latest dose that totally and utter did it for me. For the first time, I wondered if I got into the right profession. Is teaching really the best way to reach out to these kids?

... a fifteen-year old boy walks up to a teacher and asks her

"Hey, Miss! What colour is your bra?"

In the disciplinary room, he complete denies it...

... It's administration & filing time at school. All the kids have to make sure they have their task sheets up to date and ready for 'audit'. Some kids are missing work because they have left it strewn on the floor (worse yet, possibly aimed if for the bin - totally plausible). So boy raps violently on the door and when answered, asks,

"Hey! Can I have the papers - and hurry up with it!"...

... In a class test, a boy is reading a section of the newspaper as the test is in session. His legs are cross and is leaning back - looking like he would be more comfortable in a cafe. When addressed, he completely ignores the warning until the newspaper is confiscated. As I put it on my desk, he goes and takes another section to read. ZERO.

... Later in a class assignment, I rove around the classroom to make sure they are on task. When I see him - the same boy from the above infringment - he takes his tasksheet and tears it into bits in slow-motion in front of me. Perhaps to prove a point, from not having got the reaction he was look for in the spelling test?

... This might not seem so uncommon but ... thinking that I do not understand any chinese, boy initially tries to ask questions in mandarin to tease. Of course, I understand them enough but play dumb in an attempt to deflect, defuse and re-focus him on his work. Upset, he begins swearing at me and using vulgarities directed to my "mother" - alot like "ya mama" insults.


That day, the class apparently set the record for making not one, not two, but THREE teachers completely lose it. And I'm referring to veteran teachers...

Of course I ask myself, "How am I ever going to get to these kids? How am I going to fill up their tank? Will I have enough in mine to give to them?"

Where will my strength come from?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i read your last line, i thought of Ps 121. Esther used to remind us that our strength comes from the Lord. the kids are difficult but i pray God will top you up so that you do not run dry. praying for you./bun

 
At 3:12 pm, Blogger davej said...

and you didn't lose it? then you are already getting through to them...by not fulfilling their self-initiated prophecy that someone has spoken over them as a group or demographic that says they can't be anything better...He had you there to begin to shake those kids worlds and plant the specks of truth into their lives that can grow later...がんばて!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home